[CT Birds] Empid ID question

jaybrd49 at aol.com jaybrd49 at aol.com
Mon Sep 16 20:32:06 EDT 2013

I think we are still within the time period for Acadian migration although it will soon come to an end.  Over the years, we have had a fair number of what I believe to be Acadians into the middle of September in the Farmington Valley area.  Few of these birds have ever struck me as being great candidates for Yellow-bellied Flycatcher.  Acadian Flycatcher undergoes molt prior to leaving the breeding grounds, thus fall Acadians may appear quite "bright" at this season, whereas Yellow-bellied Flycatcher undergoes molt on its wintering grounds prior to heading northward.   In autumn, Yellow-bellied do not have to be all that yellow. In fact, in September Acadian is likely to be brighter be brighter than Yellow-bellied causing a great deal of confusion for even experienced empid-watchers.  Birders may want to look at the Peterson Advanced Birding Guide.  Although some feel this guide may be somewhat out-of-date, there are numerous points made about molt, body structure, and differentiating various empids by features other than plumage that may be of interest

Jay Kaplan
Canton