[CT Birds] 9/17 Hammo: Whimbrels, Nighthawks, Whip-poor-will

Tim Antanaitis timant123 at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 17 22:47:26 EDT 2013

I went to Hammonasset after work today and was trying (not much luck) for some passerines on
Willards Island.  Then I added 3 quick birds to my Hammo life list:
WHIMBREL - 2.  6:55 pm. Silent flyovers heading towards Moraine Trail. #215.
COMMON NIGHTHAWK - 2. 7:17 pm. Flying over field near swan pond. #216.
EASTERN WHIP-POOR-WILL - 1. 7:22 pm. Heard it sing its name 4-5 times in 15 seconds as
I was leaving park (50 feet from stop light).  #217. It may be there and sing pre-dawn if any birders
who frequent Hammo might want to try for it - you won't need to even enter the gate.  I can't
remember the last time this species was at Hammo.

I have a request of other birders who frequent Hammo - PLEASE include the location of species that
are hard to find at this location (recent examples: Wood Duck, Indigo Bunting, Cape May Warbler,
Blue-winged Warbler, Rose-breasted Grosbeak, Black Vulture).  Hammonasset is a huge park and
exact locations would be extremely helpful.

Tim Antanaitis
Middletown