[CT Birds] Shorebirding today

kmueller at ntplx.net kmueller at ntplx.net
Thu Sep 19 15:17:26 EDT 2013

Finally....a day off! So what better way to enjoy it than a day along
the coast Shorebirding. Low tide at dawn.

  HIGHLIGHTS: I started at dawn at Buryinghill Beach in Westport where
I ran into Tina Green. Found (her) adult LESSER BLACK-BACKED GULL in
the cove east of the parking area. Also 2 Spotted Sandpipers and a
single Laughing Gull.

After saying good-bye, I stopped at Southport Beach: 7 Black-crowned
Night Herons (3 adults) and 5 Sanderling.

Stratford, Long Beach Park (marsh side): 5 Gtr Yellowlegs, Yellow
Warbler, 2 Palm Warbler, 3 Common Yellowthroat, and an unidentified
Warbler (will review the images later) and 1 Savannah Sparrow.

Stratford, Stratford Marina, Bond's Cove: 125 ++ Yellowlegs (majority
Greater- 7 Lesser), 36+/- Short-billed Dowitcher, 2 LONG-BILLED
DOWITCHER (1 present at first joined by the second bird an hour later)
** (Excellent Shorebird show- they were kept moving by boat yard
activity. The birds would fly out and circle the cove and then return
to the X-dock)., 20+/- Night-Herons (mostly Yellow-crowned), 3 Green
Heron, 1 Clapper Rail (walking within the old pilings across the
cove), 1 juvenile or female Harrier and a flock of Monk Parakeets.

Milford, Milford Point: I thought I would search for a Western
Sandpiper. They are still being reported in every coastal New England
state. On the bar 100+/- peeps (mostly Least Sandpipers (65%) and
Semi-palmated Sandpipers (3 banded birds) with 7 Semi-palmated
Plovers......no Westerns found. Male Harrier grabbed a vole along the
waters edge by the observation platform on the Sound side. 3 Palm
Warbler, 2 Yellow-rumped Warbler, 3 Saltmarsh Sparrow, 1 Savannah
Sparrow.

West Haven, north sandbar, high tide: 2 Palm and 2 Common Yellowthroat
Warblers. Only shorebirds on the bar were 1 pair of Ruddy Turnstone
and 2 Spotted Sandpipers, also 1 juv. or female Harrier. 1 Laughing Gull

Madison, Hammonasset Beach SP, Meigs Pond: 30+ peeps (50/50
Semi-palmated and Least Sandpipers), 7 Greater Yellowlegs, 3
Semi-palmated Plover, 1 PECTORAL and 1 WHITE-RUMPED SANDPIPER.

Keith Mueller
Killingworth, CT