[CT Birds] Hammo sightings book

Jamie Meyers ctredbird2 at comcast.net
Wed Sep 18 09:32:57 EDT 2013

I was at Hammo yesterday, was disappointed to see that almost no recent reports were in the sightings log that's next to the nature center. It used to be that one could look there and see a number of reports from birders for current day and it was a good way to keep up to date on what was in the park. There were about three rows filled in from the last week when I looked yesterday and I know there were tons of birders coming and going there with the phalarope and golden-plover being around. I'd like to suggest that it would be helpful to all who bird there if that book gets better used.

In light of Tina's comment about the phalarope, a well-updated sightings log might have provided clues as to whether the bird was indeed taken by a harrier or not. I sure didn't see it yesterday, didn't see much of anything of note except the Little Blue that's been there for awhile now.

While I'm on I should note that yesterday was a particularly good day for migrating American Redstarts. They were numerous in every location I checked, from Old Lyme to New Haven to Orange. Slightly off topic, but so were Sachems, which is a small orange skipper butterfly. This butterfly is everywhere in the southern part of the state. Now to find one for Hartford County!

Jamie Meyers
Canton, CT