[CT Birds] Lighthouse Point Park (Hawk) Migration Festival 9/22

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Sat Sep 21 17:04:04 EDT 2013

This Sunday (tomorrow) is the day for the annual Migration  Festival at
Lighthouse Point Park In New Haven. Here's a link to the site with a  list of
the activities and events:
_Lighthouse  Point Park Migration Festival | Connecticut_
The forecast has not been spectacular for Sunday, with possible  rain
forecast, but it has improved, and it now seems the rain will come Saturday
night, with just a possible passing shower during the day. Accuweather is
forecasting only 2 100ths of an inch of rain, coming around the noon hour. In
the past we have managed very well with less than perfect weather, and the
wind  forecast for tomorrow is now northwest averaging 12 MPH which is nearly
the best  possible for LHP and could mean a very significant raptor flight.
Last year we had over 1000 birds on the day of the festival.  This past
Saturday we had about 1000 birds including 500 + Broad-wings and 22  Bald
Eagles. Tuesday we had over 450 birds, with 14 Bald Eagles and a very early
Golden Eagle.
It is best to come early (8 to 12) to see the hawk flight,  but the Raptor
exhibit, including free flying birds (no, we don't count them) is  between
11 and 2, and well worth seeing. Sometimes there is also good birding in  the
park woods, and there will be two led bird walks in the  morning.
In addition to the activities  there are food vendors,  tee-shirt sales,
and an optics display and sale by a Ct vendor, etc.

Don  Morgan