[CT Birds] Shoreline Birding from Stratford to Hammo: Bob Dewire and group

Sailcarm sailcarm at aol.com
Sat Sep 21 18:32:51 EDT 2013

Bob Dewire and ten others started at Warehouse Pond in Stratford this morn, birded several spots in between there and Hammo today.   We had some great birds and, personally, I added a state bird today!

The places and highlights are below:

Warehouse Pond at end  of Long Bch Blvd: 6 Yellow-crowned Night Herons, 3 Marsh Wrens, 2 f. C. Yellowthroats

Long Bch- not a lot there!!!

Stratford Marina- 2 possible candidates for LB Dowitcher, 15 SB Dowitcher, 1 Pectoral Sandpiper, 50 Greater Yellowlegs, 10 Lesser Yellowlegs, 5 BC Night Heron, 1 YC Night Heron

Millstone Pt- 1 f. Greater Scaup,  8 Dunlin, 5 Sanderling, 5 Oystercatchers, 6 Brant, 4 YC Night Herons, two of which were sitting on top of the martin houses at different times!

Hammo -  1 BAIRD'S SANDPIPER in with 18 Killdeer in grassy field opposite Swan Pond, 1 AMERICAN BITTERN in marsh above Boulder Pond, 1 LB Heron, not the hybrid, 5 Dunlin, 1 Pectoral Sandpiper, 5  Greater Yellowlegs, 1 Lesser Yellowlegs, 2 SB Dowitchers, 6 Semi-palmated Sandpipers (shorebirds were all in Boulder Pond with the exception of BAIRD'S mentioned above).    We did not get over to Willard's or Cedar I.

Nice day and a new bird for my state list: Baird's Sandpiper.   And a great mini-workshop on differences between the two Dowitcher species.  We all worked really hard on those birds at the Stratford Marina.  Also nice to see some Dunlins back!

Lists submitted to eBird via Birdlog

Carolyn Cimino
Sent from my iPad