[CT Birds] Where are the Buff-breasted SP

Nick Bonomo nbonomo at gmail.com
Sun Sep 22 08:49:21 EDT 2013

Hi Dan,

It is certainly an off-year for them in CT. I have not been following the
regional reports, so I can't tell you whether they've been scarce through
the entire northeast or if CT has just gotten unlucky. One factor to
consider would be their breeding success this year, as a very high
percentage of fall migrant Buff-breasts to the northeast are juvenile
birds. If they've had a poor breeding year, that would likely be reflected
in fewer sightings in our coastal region, all things being equal.

As an aside, it's looking like a very good autumn for Cape May Warblers,
not just in CT but in surrounding states as well. This species' abundance
has been tied to spruce budworm outbreaks on the breeding grounds in
Canada. According to Ron Pittaway's winter finch forecast, Evening Grosbeak
numbers might be on the increase currently because of more budworm
outbreaks in recent years. Perhaps the same thing is happening with Cape
May Warblers.

Nick Bonomo
Wallingford, CT