[CT Birds] Lighthouse Point Park - 355 Raptors

Steve Mayo and Rebecca Horowitz rsdmayo at sbcglobal.net
Sun Sep 22 20:53:36 EDT 2013

Rain from the passing cold front ended at 730 am and things cleared quickly, so by mid afternoon we had a great day of tree swallows, dragonflies and plenty of falcons.  Highlights included an adult RED-HEADED WOODPECKER seen by many at the hawk watch site, and 3 CASPIAN TERNS seen by Dr. Chris Loscalzo's bird walk.  We ended up with 355 plus a few Peregrines, Merlins and Red-tails, of questionable migratory intent.  Kestrels (we had 102 today), Merlins, a Peregrine and even an extremely agile mope-turned-lightning-fast-gymnast Northern Harrier, all dined on a few of the thousands of migrating Green Darners and Black Saddlebags. Alas, the many hundreds of Monarch Butterflies of previous years, are now numbering in the teens, o'er here.

What a wonderful day to meet old and new friends during the New Haven Parks Department's Migration Fest.  'Thanks to Ranger Dan and the entire Parks Department crew, for hosting such an enjoyable event!

Steve Mayo