[CT Birds] Quaker Ridge GOSHAWK+

Ryan Maclean ryanmac335 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 23 21:27:42 EDT 2013

Despite the heavy winds which pushed alot of birds down to the coast, 313
hawks were counted over Audubon Greenwich today. The highlight was a
NORTHERN GOSHAWK which was seen by Mike Warner and myself at 2:18 PM. We
were unable to age the bird to to bad backlighting, but the bird's
obviously large size for an accipiter, extremely fat barrel-chested
appearance and strongly tapered wings were all clearly visible. With the
strength of today's winds, its not much of a shock to me that one has
already decided to make its way south. Besides the Gos we had a
surprisingly steady late afternoon flight dominated by Sharp-Shinned and
Broad-Winged Hawks but also included an immature PEREGRINE FALCON, a male
Harrier and several Kestrels. See hawkcount.org for full count details.

The morning also produced a good passerine flight, with 13 warbler species
seen. These included CANADA, CHESTNUT-SIDED, BTBLUE/GREEN, PARULA,
MAGNOLIA, BLACKPOLL, YELLOW-RUMPED AND PALM (the latter 2 seen in
increasing numbers). WHITE-THROATED SPARROWS have also arrived along with
GOLDEN-CROWNED KINGLETS. Other birds included a juvenile SWAMP SPARROW,
LINCOLN'S SPARROW and LEAST FLYCATCHER.

Tomorrow should produce a decent hawk flight once again, possibly better
than today since lighter winds are less likely to push birds to the coast.
Any help would be appreciated.

-Ryan MacLean