[CT Birds] Black Vulture Today

Roy Harvey rmharvey at snet.net
Thu Sep 26 06:33:25 EDT 2013

That sounds good for Black Vulture.  Turkey Vultures are very shy and I rarely find them along a roadside on roadkill.  Even when Turkey Vultures outnumber Black Vultures by many to one I have found Black to be the one on roadkill.

As a side note, while Turkey Vultures have a phenomenal sense of smell, which they use to find their food, nothing I have read says they share this trait with Black Vultures.  I think they are more visual, which of course can include keeping an eye on and following Turkey Vultures!

Good birding!

Roy Harvey
Beacon Falls, CT