[CT Birds] Southport Highlights/ possible LeConte's Sparrow

Tina and Peter Green petermgreen at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 27 09:45:38 EDT 2013

9/27/13- Southport-Southport Beach-1 Saltmarsh Sparrow,8+ Nelson's Sparrows, 2 Clapper Rails, a possible LeConte's Sparrow seen briefly feeding on flattened down spartina on the right side of the jetty,it flew past me and disappeared into the spartina never to be relocated. If you are in the area, it is worth checking. I was there at 6:30am just after high tide. Many of the sparrows, including 3 Swamp Sparrows were running around out in the open on the mud and on the edges of the jetty.

Also many Nelson's Sparrows continue at Sherwood Island SP in Westport in the marsh. Take the trail by the bridge near the nature center and head north towards the thruway.

Let's hope some stick around for the COA Sparrow Workshop on October 20th!

Tina Green
Westport
Sent from my iPhone