[CT Birds] Extralimital: Florida Trip 9/7-14

Joseph Cala Joejr14 at aol.com
Mon Sep 23 20:04:16 EDT 2013

Meant to post this last week but ended up catching strep throat and
spent most of last week laying around dealing with the associated fever.

Was in Florida two weeks ago for a quick week vacation at New Smyrna
Beach and managed to sneak some birding and photography in.  I uploaded
a bunch pictures to the website, but here are a few links to some of the
pictures.  It is downright amazing how tame the birds are down
there--countless sanderling, ruddy turnstone, and willets within 5-10
feet--things you'd just never see up here in CT. Highlights of the trip
were picking up a handful of lifers--including a super cooperative
Sandwich tern right on the beach, and a juvenile Brown Booby and adult
male Magnificent Frigatebird on a half day deep sea fishing trip.

Quick sampling of pictures below and at the end of the 'extras' category
as I haven't had time to move anything around yet.

Sandwich Tern: http://josephcala.zenfolio.com/img/s10/v98/p2048565412-4.jpg
Roseate Spoonbill:
Sanderling: http://josephcala.zenfolio.com/img/s9/v90/p1963769290-4.jpg
Sanderling: http://josephcala.zenfolio.com/img/s9/v87/p2039799119-4.jpg