[CT Birds] Black Vulture Today

Katherine Kuckens katkuckens at gmail.com
Wed Sep 25 22:22:20 EDT 2013

My first black vulture.  Commuting home on Rte 6 near Bolton, about 5:30, I
saw a large dark bird standing at the side of the road, talons holding
something.  Once I was closer, I could see it was a vulture with a
squirrel, probably road kill.  The vulture was very glossy black and bulky.
 I can not say with 100% accuracy that I detected the white or grayish
head, but I did notice there was no red on its head or neck.  And I did see
the gray legs.  I know there have been many black vultures reported
recently.  I wonder if this one was migrating, sniffed out the dead
squirrel, and swooped in for some fast food dinner.

Katherine Kuckens