[CT Birds] Shorebirding today

kmueller at ntplx.net kmueller at ntplx.net
Fri Sep 27 13:53:26 EDT 2013

If you are like me and need a good Shorebird fix, than Napatree Point
in Westerly, Rhode Island should take care of that. With the relative
scarcity of Shorebirds in CT and other parts of New England, it is
refreshing to be able to spend a late Sept. day Shorebirding.

Highlights include: (I didn't count but estimated) 3 to 4 dozen
Oystercatchers, 150+ peeps including Least Sandpipers, Semi-palmated
Sandpipers and Semi-palmated
Plovers. 2 Greater Yellowlegs, 1 Lesser Yellowlegs, 1 Short-billed
Dowitcher, 12-15 Sanderlings, 18 to 24 Dunlin (in all plumages and
transitional plumages), 2 White-rumped Sandpipers, 4 Red Knots (1 in
worn plumage with residual red in its plumage), 8 Ruddy Turnstone and
18 Black-bellied Plovers. Also 13 Am. Pipit, 1 Merlin and 1 Peregrine
sleeping/perched near the bluff with the Bank Swallow burrows. 1
Laughing Gull, 3 Brant, 1 hen Red-breasted Merganser and 13 Common
Eider. I didn't find the Baird's Sandpiper and pair of Piping Plover
reported yesterday.

Keith MUeller
Killingworth, CT.