[CT Birds] a red letter day!

Carrier Graphics carriergraphics at sbcglobal.net
Tue Oct 1 18:35:09 EDT 2013

After a real poor fall migration so far at my yard, today was a red letter day!
I looked out the window at 5:45pm and noticed a few birds fly catching from my Birch tree which is half nude. I went out with my nocks, and suddenly noticed birds were everywhere! The setting sun in the west was already half way up my tallest trees in the back woods, but also loaded with birds. i couldn't see them all, but of the ones I did see, it was great. Lasted till 6:20 when the sun set and it appeared the birds hunkered down within the leaves of the tallest trees. To many birds to count, but what I saw of species were.

Vireos - they were the most obvious.

BLUE HEADED - many
RED-EYED - many
YELLOW THROATED - 2
PHILADELPHIA - 2
BAY-BREASTED WARBLER -at least 5 seen, but more poss
BLACKPOLL - at least 10, but many more poss
CAP-MAY - at least 4
PARULA - many
CHESTNUT SIDED - 2
BT GREEN - many
PINE-saw 1
YELLOW-RUMP - many
PALM - 1
TENNESSEE - 3 seen
BLACK & WHITE - 5
BLACKBURNIAN - 6
no Redstart, BT Blue, Nashville,but certainly could have been within the crowed.
Many birds were flycatching from the tree tops, and so many more were within the trees leaves moving around quickly. Also within were a flock of Waxwing and some other common stuff. Was an exciting 30 mins, and one of those events were you wish others were here with you!

Paul Carrier - Harwinton