[CT Birds] Plum Island

Steve Mayo and Rebecca Horowitz rsdmayo at sbcglobal.net
Tue Oct 1 22:50:03 EDT 2013

I had the opportunity to tour the Plum Island Animal Disease Center just a few years back.  It is really no big deal.  Ironically, since Homeland Security took over, the island is readily accessible to the public.  Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, and other groups routinely camp there.  We toured the island on a sunny June day and I was amazed, not by all the Black Skimmers and terns, but by the many lingering Harbor Seals.

We toured the entire island in a school bus on a narrow sandy trail, which brushed along the multiflora rose, staghorn sumach and poison ivy, past that "infamous" crumbling Building 257 (the Government employees get a laugh out of the speculation about that edifice) as well as the old bunkers.

I'm no pathobiologist, but it sure did look like a Level 3 Animal Disease facility to me.

Steve Mayo
Bethany