[CT Birds] Derby Chat, Orange-crowned

Roy Harvey rmharvey at snet.net
Wed Oct 2 13:07:43 EDT 2013

The best bird was a Yellow-breasted Chat, with Orange-crowned Warbler a close second on the NHBC first Wednesday wall this morning at Osbornedale State Park in Derby.  Bill Banks said he would post the details, but I wanted to post directions for the Chat - only the second I have ever seen there.

From the Kellog Center parking lot, as you enter the adjacent field there is a wide track running to the right.  As you follow it, with the open field to the left and overgrown tangle to the right, looking down the tangle there is a pokeberry bush along the edge well ahead of you, recognizable in part by the bright red stems.  The Chat was seen twice, both times down low in that pokeberry and seen from the side you would be approaching it from.

Thanks to everyone who came out!

Roy Harvey
Beacon Falls, CT