[CT Birds] East River Marsh

Dan Rottino rottino at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 4 08:59:25 EDT 2013

From Dan Rottino:
10/4/13- Guilford, East River Marsh Complex -- 6:15am; 6 NELSON'S SPARROW, 1 COMMON NIGHTHAWK.  I arrived just before dawn and immediately heard the Greater Yellowlegs calling and then saw a sparrow landing in the road at the edge of a puddle, but too dark to ID.  After the nighthawk toured the marsh a sparrow hopped from one side of the road to the other and that is my life NELSON'S!  After a beautiful sunrise, I eventually found 6 Nelson's and 13 Saltmarsh, a savannah flushed by a harrier, 2 seasides and song sparrow.  I carefully consulted one of my favorite books, "Sparrows of the United States and Canada" by David Beadle and James Rising to compare the species.  A Nelsons landed only 4 feet from me, and two clapper rails came quite close.

Bird.
Eat.
Sleep.
Repeat.