[CT Birds] OT: Leatherback Turtle on beach at Milford

Jacob Musser jacob.musser at yale.edu
Wed Oct 9 15:31:44 EDT 2013

Hey everyone,

Thanks for all the updates on the turtle.  I managed to get out yesterday to see it.  It is truly an awe-inspiring creature, and was also terribly sad to see it dead. Since there has been some discussion about letting various authorities know, I just wanted to pass along some information for people concerned about what is happening with the turtle.  First of all, since yesterday morning there has been a lot of discussion amongst various organizations and authorities on what is happening with it.  At this point the resolution is that the Peabody Museum of Natural History is working with the city of Milford and other regulatory agencies to have it removed and used for education and science.  While it's terrible to see one of these magnificent and endangered organisms dead, at least we can use this as an opportunity to educate the public about these magnificent creatures.

Best,
Jacob