[CT Birds] Silver Sands - Vesper Sparrow, Dickcissel, Mourning Warbler

John Oshlick john.oshlic at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 11 11:31:03 EDT 2013

Silver Sands - The wind hurt the birding but I still had some good birds. 1 Vesper Sparrow in the "Sparrow Rows" West of the parking area. The Dickcissel and the Mourning were in a very brushy area East of the access rd (rougly even with the gated dirt road that goes into the fenced off area to the West).

I am not experienced w/ fall Mourning warblers. This bird lacked a complete eye ring so it was not a CT. When it is this late you have to consider Macgillivray's warbler. This bird was interesting in that it was a juvenile and it had eye arcs but the eye arcs were quite thin. It also seemed to have shorter tail. Finally it chipped and when I later played Mourning and Macgillivray's chip calls it sounded more like a Mourning.

John Oshlick
Bethany