[CT Birds] Red-winged BBs

twomirers at comcast.net twomirers at comcast.net
Thu Oct 10 16:36:54 EDT 2013

This afternoon, across the road from my house in Moodus, I observed a flock of 16 Red-winged Blackbirds high in an ash tree chowing down on the seeds. They have to separate the seed from the samara before they can eat it. I’d never seen this before, so I checked my bookshelf. Martin, Zim and Nelson (“American Wildlife and Plants”-Dover reprint) make no mention of this. However, Bent includes a paragraph on exactly this behavior, also in October. Also found some online sources that point out that ash is an important food source for RWBBs, and for turkeys.Unfortunately, it looks like there will not be any ash trees left in CT in 15 years.

Rob Mirer