[CT Birds] Harkness Clay-colored Sparrow yes

Comins, Patrick PCOMINS at audubon.org
Thu Oct 10 20:14:02 EDT 2013

I'm going with a yes on that sparrow.  The lores look darker than I would like them to, but it looks like that is not actually an eye stripe extending past the eye.  I did get some shots of the rump after all and it appears to be tan rather than gray.  There appears to be more of a hint of eye crescents in some of the photos than I saw on the camera screen or in my bins, but only a faint one under the eye and a partial crescent above the right eye.   I'd certainly be open to further education, but I'm calling it a Clay-colored Sparrow.

Hopefully the photos can be accessed by all:

PS I stopped by Hammonasset on the way home and there was a juvenile White-rumped Sandpiper and a Pectoral Sandpiper in the Meigs' Point Nature Center grass parking lot.

Patrick M. Comins
Director of Bird Conservation

Audubon Connecticut
185 East Flat Hill Road