[CT Birds] LPP on Friday

Dana Campbell dana.l.campbell at gmail.com
Fri Oct 11 19:24:28 EDT 2013

Today the weather favored us despite predictions to the contrary.  We had a
steady trickle of raptors from dawn to 2:30 p.m. when the wind went ENE.
We counted a total of 163, including 13 Osprey, 2 juvenile Bald Eagles, 3
Northern Harriers, 75 Sharp-shinned Hawks, 46 Cooper's Hawks, 2
Broadwinged- Hawks, 4 Red-tailed Hawks, 11 American Kestrels, 2 Merlins, 1
Peregrine, and a few unidentified raptors.  Because of the gusty winds the
birds were "on the deck" for great looks.  And the Buteos are beginning to
appear...a portent of things to come.
Thank you to a great team of Observers:  Lynn James, Steve Mayo, Don
Morgan, and Marty "Isn't that an eagle?" Moore, and to their faithful watch
dogs Sandy and Buffy.
New watcher Howie Sternberg brought two of his relatives (Brian and Marc)
who plan to return.  If you have not visited us yet, please think about
it.  The season is not over until the end of November!

Dana Campbell, Interim Rector
St. Andrew's Episcopal Church, Meriden
dana.l.campbell at gmail.com

“To pay attention, this is our endless and proper work.”
-- Mary Oliver