[CT Birds] Milford Point Big Sit!

peeplo at aol.com peeplo at aol.com
Wed Oct 16 09:21:08 EDT 2013

Sunday, 10-13-2013 - Big Sit! Milford Point outer platform with Patrick and Jim Dugan, and with help from Jake Musser, Wendy Knothe, Charlie Barnard, and Frank Mantlik.

Total: 82 Species plus 4 others seen while outside the circle. North east Wind gusting 20+ mph in the a.m. Calming in the pm with winds out of south and east. Slow migration day with no night or morning flights to speak of, but a lovely day to spend on the platform. Highlights: 1 Adult Snow Goose with a flock of Canada Geese, 1 Bald Eagle hunting the marsh, 1 Common Raven, 1 Black Vulture (see a theme here), 1 Black Scoter, 1 American Golden Plover, 23 Common Loons, 2 American Bitterns, 1 Belted Kingfisher, 4 American Oystercatcher, and 2 Northern Gannets. Very few passerine migrants; we saw are first cardinal around 3 pm, and missed Black-capped Chickadee and Swamp Sparrow for the first time in years. It was still a nice day.

Thanks to all who contributed to this fundraiser for the Connecticut Audubon Coastal Center. We can't do it without you. For anyone interested, it's not too late to pledge. Send donations to Connecticut Audubon Coastal Center, 1 Milford Point Road, Milford, CT 06460. Thank you all for your continued Support!!

Frank Gallo, Director
Connecticut Audubon Society
Coastal Center at Milford Point
203-878-7440 x 502