[CT Birds] Easton Black Swan continues

Tina and Peter Green petermgreen at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 17 16:34:55 EDT 2013

10/17/13- Easton- Aspetuck Reservoir - Black Swan (at the fountain),FOS American Wigeon with a pair of Wood Ducks, and something I've never seen before and might not see again at the north end of the reservoir.While scanning for the ducks,I noticed movement on the left side of my scope view. There was a juvenile Cooper's Hawk standing at the water's edge under the bough of a pine tree taking a bath in about four inches of water. It appeared to be floating on the water. At first glance, I thought it was a large duck or shorebird because it had it's back towards me. I watched it for about two minutes bathe and preen until it suddenly had enough and flew off into the woods. A very special moment for me - the simple pleasures of birding.

Tina Green
Westport
Sent from my iPhone