[CT Birds] mallards

Robley Evans rjeva at conncoll.edu
Thu Oct 17 18:55:54 EDT 2013

This is the time when something other than "rape" (?) takes place among
mallards: they are selecting mates for the coming year.  In my pond at
least twenty males and  females spend the day swimming around in big
circles after one another, breaking off into pairs to feed, then setting up
the circles again.  October seems early for the ritual of bonding; they
must think they have a future.  Robley Evans  North Stonington