[CT Birds] Waterford: Harkness SP: WINTER WREN and thrushes; yard birds

Sailcarm sailcarm at aol.com
Sat Oct 19 15:36:57 EDT 2013

Spent all morn and much of this afternoon at Harkness Memorial SP in Waterford.

Just before I left I had a WINTER WREN climbing in and out of the old stone wall that borders the brush dump area past the renovated greenhouse.

I birded four areas today, all in the eastern part of the park: the brush dump, the apple orchard just to the north of the brush dump, and the tangles and thickets on the other side of the old stone wall mentioned above.  I also birded in the big field to the east of that.  This field is the eastern edge of Harkness and borders on Camp Harkness.  By far the most productive area today was around the stone wall.

2 Hermit Thrushes (have sent photos to some friends to double check that they are indeed Hermits and not Swainson's)

Ruby-crowned Kinglets and Phoebes everywhere

sparrows: Field, White-throated, Swamp, Savannah, Song, House

Not nearly as many YR Warblers as yesterday

1 Great Egret flyover

No Bluebirds today

1 RS Hawk

Yard bird: at least 2 if not more Golden-crowned Kinglets just a few minutes ago.  Will need to check, but this may be a yard first.

Carolyn Cimino

Sent from my iPad