[CT Birds] Euro Wigeon and waterfowl

kmueller at ntplx.net kmueller at ntplx.net
Thu Oct 24 11:41:42 EDT 2013

This morning from 7:00 to 9:30 am -

Killingworth, Krupa's Pond down the street from my house- 9 Wood
Ducks, 3 BLUE-WINGED TEAL

Middlefield, Lyman Orchards Pond- the 5th Pintail in three days. This
one was this years hatchling with early developing feathering. It
appears to be a drake by the early plumage characteristics. This was
not one of the four other birds I saw over the last few days. This was
also the only Pintail on the pond this morning.

Meriden, Bishop's Pond- EURO WIGEON drake continues....although it
wasn't there when I first arrived as I was searching extensively for
it. It appeared later just as I was getting ready to leave, It may
have been sleeping under the overhanging brush along the west side of
the pond. 9 NORTHERN SHOVELERS- there were three post-eclipse drakes
and two hens at the south end of the pond, a single hen at the north
end of the pond, and three post-eclipse drakes flew over the pond
coming from the northeast. They circled the pond four times but didn't
land. They flew back to the northeast from the direction that they
came from (maybe heading towards Portland Meadows)? 80 - 90 American
Wigeon. Two flocks of approx. 40+ Wigeon lifted off the pond, circled
three times, and then flew off to the east and over the ridge. They
may have flown to High Hill Pond? 13 Wood Ducks, 40 Green-winged Teal,
2 hen Hooded Mergansers, 1 Pied-billed Grebe, usual Black Ducks,
Mallards and Canada Geese. A pair of Red-shouldered Hawks landed on
the pole behind me offering excellent close views, and 5 BLACK
VULTURES migrating south along 91.

Keith Mueller