[CT Birds] Rhode Island South County Gulling today

kmueller at ntplx.net kmueller at ntplx.net
Sat Oct 26 19:38:40 EDT 2013

Today was a great day to go Gulling along a few locations of the South
County coast. There were large numbers of Gulls present in every
location we stopped; I am sure the strong westerly winds helped.
Highlights:

Narragansett Town Beach parking lot 300 Ring-billed Gulls with a dozen
Laughing Gulls. Off the Coast Guard House by Narragansett Beach a
large flock of 250-300 Gulls in a feeding frenzy with Cormorants
probably feeding on Sandeels. Six species present in the flock; along
with the many Herring, Ring-billed and few Greater Black-backed were
40-50 Laughing Gulls, 15-20 Bonaparte's Gulls, and a single 3rd cycle
LESSER BLACK-BACKED GULL. I couldn't tell if more or other species
were in the flock, but I will review the photos later.

Narragansett, Scarborough Beach south (on the beach and on the rocky
point)- 250 Ring-billed Gulls, 50 Herring, 20 Greater Black-backed
Gulls and 50 Laughing Gulls.

Jerusalem town pier- A few hundred Gulls (nothing uncommon) were
hunkered in on the beach out of the wind, and a large flock swarming
around a few fishing boats coming back into the harbor.

Grassy Point, Ninigret Park; the continuing LESSER BLACK-BACKED GULL
with 50 Herring, Ring-billed and Greater Black-backed. Also one oddly
marked and unusual Herring-type Gull, will review my images to make an
ID.

Keith and Jen Mueller
Killingworth, CT