[CT Birds] Cooper's Hawk air-fight in Norwalk

Mike VanValen mikefuture95 at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 21 15:50:25 EDT 2013

Just witnessed something pretty amazing (to me at least). I noticed a group of 7 or 8 crows sitting on my neighbors roof. They were all looking at something in the sky and following it's movements back and forth. I opened my window upstairs and looked out when suddenly a Cooper's Hawk dive-bombed the crows. It flew up again but this time a crow met the hawk in mid-air, they locked up and pin-wheeled out of view. I grabbed my camera and ran outside. At this point the crows were gone but I heard 5 or 6 Bluejays scolding the hawk in a tall tree. I looked but could not see the Hawk until it swooped out of the tree straight down toward my yard, flew between the two houses with the jays in pursuit. They flew up over the street and then the crows, who seemed to be waiting in ambush a few yards over, joined the jays and they all flew out of sight! Needless to say, my day is complete. I was unable to get any photos.

Mike C. Van Valen
Vice President
NAFHA - Northeast