[CT Birds] Vespers, Meadowlarks, etc.

Frank Mantlik mantlik at sbcglobal.net
Wed Oct 23 19:46:44 EDT 2013

>From Frank Mantlik

10/23 Stratford,
- Stratford Point - 1 Vesper Sparrow, on weedy dirt mound along entrance drive.
- Stratford Greenway (Beacon Point Rd) - 1 or 2 Vesper Sparrows. (One behind Deluca ball field.)
- Main St. (so. end / Rt 113) - fields across street from airport crash fence - 4 Eastern Meadowlarks, 1 Bobolink.
- Frash Pond - pair Hooded Mergansers (my first of season). Also a possible Cackling Goose among Canada flock.
- Lordship Seawall - 13 Red-throated Loons, including a migrating flock of ten.
- Community Garden (Connors Ln) - Winter Wren, 28 Monk Parakeets.

Bridgeport/Stratford, Johnson Creek, Rt 113 at Eagle Landing Rd. (exit 30 I-95 northbound) - 63 Greater Yellowlegs resting on boat dock at high tide.

Abundant flocks of sparrows everywhere today (eight species), and numerous Ruby-crowned Kinglets and Yellow-rumped Warblers. Almost no raptors in the sky, and still very little on / over LI Sound.

Frank Mantlik
Stratford, CT