[CT Birds] Hammonasset Lark Sparrow

Dan Rottino rottino at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 26 11:11:34 EDT 2013

At Hammonasset Beach SP in Madison, CT where dreams come true and birding wonders never cease.

This morning at 9:10am I found an adult LARK SPARROW adjacent to the playground area at the west end with a large mixed flock of sparrows.  The sparrows were in the median of the paved campground roads near a dumpster, and subsequently the entire flock was spooked and flushed by a passing vehicle. I relocated it in the field along with Jim Carr and Tom Halloway.  Jim took photos.  Great looks!  12 sparrow species including Nelson's at East Beach restoration marsh and Vespers at the west end.

PS. Despite the many rare birds I have seen this year, I missed my target nemesis again, the Clay-colored sparrow.  I think I might die before I ever see one!

Dan Rottino
East Haddam, CT