[CT Birds] Breaking News and Invite to Important Event in New Haven 10/30!

Breslin, Sandy sbreslin at audubon.org
Sun Oct 27 12:24:30 EDT 2013

Dear CT Birders:

Audubon Connecticut's Urban Oases program in New Haven is being recognized as a national model for community-based conservation.  We have just learned that USFWS Director, Dan Ashe, is coming to town next week for a ceremony designating our program one of only eight Urban Wildlife Refuge Partnerships in the country! On behalf of the Audubon Connecticut team:

Wednesday, October 30th
10:30AM - 12:30 PM
Barnard Nature Center at West River Memorial Park
200 Derby Ave
New Haven, CT 06511

The Service's Urban Refuge Initiative was launched to increase awareness, understanding, and support of the USFWS, the National Wildlife Refuge System, and natural resource conservation.  In keeping with those goals, Audubon's New Haven Urban Oases program is a collaborative effort to create a matrix of high quality habitats for birds and wildlife, engage children and youth in hands on conservation while providing new educational opportunities, and enhancing public and private spaces throughout the City.  Join us to see live birds, tour native plantings and (if the tide is right) take a boat ride on the West River.

New Haven Harbor Watershed Program partners include: US Fish and Wildlife Service (w Director Dan Ashe and Region 5 Director Wendi Weber), EPA Long Island Sound Study, City of New Haven Public Schools and Department of Parks, Recreation and Trees, New Haven Park Friends Groups, Audubon Connecticut, Common Ground High School and Environmental Education Center, New Haven Urban Resources Initiative, Yale Peabody Museum of Natural History, Yale School of Forestry and Environmental Studies, and community partners.

RSVP to Jeff Cordulack, Audubon Connecticut at jcordulack at audubon.org<mailto:jcordulack at audubon.org> or 203-869-5272 x239

Contact Sandy Breslin at (203) 804-0488 with any questions.

Directions: http://www.cityofnewhaven.com/Parks/ParksInformation/barnard.asp#directions
Map: http://www.cityofnewhaven.com/Parks/ParksInformation/media/Map-WestRiver.pdf

Apologies for the late notice - we are casualties of the government shutdown - and for any duplications!

All the best and hope to see you in New Haven!

-          Sandy

Sandy Breslin
Director of Governmental Affairs
Audubon Connecticut
185 East Flat Hill Road
Southbury, CT 06488
(203) 804-0488 Cell (Best!)
(203) 264-5098 x306
(203) 264-6332 Fax

Audubon Connecticut, the state office of the National Audubon Society with more than 10,000 members statewide, works to protect birds, other wildlife and their habitats using science, conservation, education and advocacy for the benefit of people and the earth's biological diversity. Through our network of nature centers, protected wildlife sanctuaries and local volunteer Chapters, we seek to connect people to nature and inspire the next generation of conservationists.