[CT Birds] New Haven Bird Club November Activities

Larry Bausher LPBausher at comcast.net
Tue Oct 29 11:07:24 EDT 2013

Here is the New Haven Bird Club’s schedule of activities during

Indoor Meeting:

Thursday, November 14, 2013 — Barry Van Dusen.  “Travels of a Nature
Artist: New England and Beyond”.  Whitney Center Cultural Arts
Center, 200 Leeder Hill Drive, Hamden.  Free and open to the public.
Notice:  Bird Book Tag Sale at the meeting.  In this richly
illustrated talk, nature artist Barry Van Dusen will take us on trips
near and far. You’ll see spectacular scenery, meet interesting
people, and, of course, see some great birds!  Barry will share
stories and images of his travels to Monhegan Island off the coast of
Maine and report on a field painting trip to Acadia National Park.
Then he’ll introduce us to destinations as diverse as the fenlands of
England, the coastal forests of Peru, and a bird migration hotspot in
Israel. Barry is an internationally recognized wildlife artist whose
articles and paintings have been featured in a wide array of
magazines as well as natural history books and pocket guides.
Elected a full member of London's Society of Wildlife Artists, his
work has been exhibited in many European and US galleries. At the
invitation of the Artists for Nature Foundation, he has traveled to
Europe, South America, and Asia, working alongside other wildlife
artists to raise money for conservation of threatened habitats. He
will offer some items for sale, including original watercolors, note
cards, and prints. Social half-hour at 7:00, program begins at 7:30.
For more information: 203-230-1697 or www.newhavenbirdclub.org.

Field Trips:

NHBC 21st Annual Winter Feeder Survey.  November 1, 2013 through
March 31, 2014
This is a yearly census to determine the number and frequency of
birds visiting feeders in the greater New Haven area.  You are
invited to watch and record the activity at your feeder at least once
a week for the entire time period.  Contact Peter Vitali:
203.288.0621, or vitali_peter_e at sbcglobal.net for more information.

Fargeorge Wildlife Preserve, Quinnipiac River, New Haven, CT.
Saturday, Nov 2, 8:00 a.m. Free and open to the public.  This is a
joint trip with the New Haven Land Trust. Join our past president on
the Trust’s property along the Quinnipiac River. With its varied
habitat, this location is a good place to see raptors, shorebirds,
and waterfowl. Sightings here have included Snow Goose, Bald Eagle,
and American Woodcock. Directions: Go south on Quinnipiac Ave. from
Rte. 80. Turn right just past the RR overpass and go through the gate
onto the property.  Leader: Mike Horn: 203-288-1891 or mfhorn at att.net.

First Wednesday Walk : Westport Hot Spots, Westport.  Wednesday,
November 6, 2013, 8:00 a.m. Free and open to the public. We’ll visit
Compo Beach, Sherwood Mill Pond Preserve, Burying Hill Beach, and the
CT Audubon Tree Farm, all excellent birding locations.  We’ll look
for gulls, waterfowl, sparrows, and late fall migrants. Meet at the
I-95 Exit 18 Commuter lot. From there we’ll carpool to each
location.  Leader: Tina Green: 203-247-2660 or
tina at renaissancestudios.com.

Bombay Hook NWR, Leipsic, Delaware.  Eastern Neck Island NWR, Rock
Hall, MD .  Sunday, November 10, 2013 at 6:25 am.  Birding and
Photography - Snow Geese and Tundra Swans
We enter Bombay Hook’s main gate at 6:25 am SHARP and tour the many
ponds, pools and fields where we may see and photograph as many as
100,000 Snow Geese and many other fall migrants, from raptors to
shorebirds. We will also visit other spots in the area including
Eastern Neck Island NWR where we’ll  see Tundra Swans. There are a
variety of motels and B&Bs in the area. For suggestions about
accommodations and other travel details, contact the trip leaders.
Directions: To get to Bombay Hook from the south end of Smyrna, go
north on US 13 to the Smyrna-Leipsic Road. Take it east for about 5
miles until it joins Rte. 9. Go south about 100 yards to Whitehall
Neck Rd. A brown National Wildlife Refuge sign there points down
Whitehall Neck Rd. Proceed east down the road through the refuge
entrance gate to the headquarters building where we will meet.
Leaders: Mike and Pat Horn 203-288-1891 or mfhorn at att.net.

Lake Chamberlain & Cooper and Calabresi Farms, Bethany.  Saturday,
November 16, 2013, 7:00 am.    Rain date: Sunday, November 17,
2013.   Free and open to the public.
Join us for this fall walk to see what is wintering at these
picturesque locations.  Lake Chamberlain, a Regional Water Authority
property, has an active bluebird population, many woodpeckers, and a
number of waterfowl that visit the lake before heading further south
when the lake freezes over.  The walk at Lake Chamberlain is
relatively easy. After birding the RWA property, we will visit the
adjoining Cooper and Calabresi Farms.  Forty years ago, the families
of Peter Cooper, a noted New Haven environmental lawyer, and Guido
Calabresi, a federal judge and past dean of the Yale Law School,
purchased a 100-acre farm near Lake Chamberlain.  The farm fields and
woods have been maintained, providing habitat for a variety of
woodland, edge, and grassland species.  We will enter in the lower
fields.  Hiking to the top field may be strenuous for some. People
can choose to stay by the lake if the climb is too difficult.  Meet
at the parking lot on Sperry Road. Leader: Patrick Leahy:
203-314-0566 or ptjleahy at yahoo.com.

Owl Prowl, Lake Gaillard, North Branford.  Saturday, November 16,
2013, 7:00 pm. Free and open to the public.  Come to look and listen
for owls at Lake Gaillard. We will walk to the dam. Wear good shoes
and bring a flashlight. Come through the gate at the end of Great
Hill Rd. and park by the Christmas Tree Plantation. Leader: John
Triana: jtriana1 at rwater.com.

Sherwood Island State Park, Westport.  Saturday, November 30, 2013,
8:00 am.  Free and open to the public.  Spend part of the holiday
weekend at one of Fairfield County's best birding locations. We will
look for a wide range of species from waterfowl to finches and
everything in between. Meet at  the park entrance. Leader: Tina
Green: 203-247-2660 or tina at renaissancestudios.com.

Larry Bausher, West Haven
NHBC Publicity Director