[CT Birds] Water fowl sighting

Katherine Kuckens katkuckens at gmail.com
Thu Oct 31 20:57:23 EDT 2013

Among the many trick-or-treaters tonight was a group of three older
children, about 12-13 years old, with a younger sibling about 8. The older
kids had very nice new store-bought costumes, but the younger had on
something she must have put together herself. Yellow t-shirt, green tights,
some kind of bluish paper hood she'd colored in, and a plastic beak.  "Um,
let me see, did you make this yourself?" I asked. "Yes," she said wearily.
" So....what are you?" The older kids said, "She's got wings, show her your
wings."  On her back were construction paper wings with a familiar pattern.
 "You're a duck?" I asked hopefully.  "Not just a DUCK," she said, barely
able to tolerate my ignorance. "Mallard. I'm a MALLARD duck!"

Future Audubon Society President!

Katherine Kuckens