[CT Birds] Probable Red-headed Woodpecker, New Haven

Aaron Dollar aarondollar at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 5 14:34:56 EST 2013

Confirmed Red-headed woodpecker continues at tree on intersection at 230pm.

From: aarondollar at hotmail.com
To: ctbirds at lists.ctbirding.org
Subject: Probable Red-headed Woodpecker, New Haven
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2013 13:52:33 -0500

I had what I am fairly certain was a juvenile red-headed woodpecker on my walk to work this morning. Didn't have my binoculars, but the bird was just a tad larger than the Starlings it was trying to chase out of its territory, and I clearly saw a white rump without any visible white on the head, and with white bars on the wings during flight. Bird was at the intersection of Bradley and Lincoln Streets at 9am, primarily on the tree directly on the north west corner of the intersection, but moving between a few of the trees surrounding the house on that corner.

- Aaron Dollar, New Haven