[CT Birds] NHBC First Wednesday Walk

Tina and Peter Green petermgreen at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 6 14:03:55 EST 2013

Thanks to the nineteen birders that fought the commuter traffic
on their way to Westport this morning to join me for the NHBC November First Wednesday Walk. The weather was outstanding with plenty of sunshine,light southerly winds at 9mph, and a temperature of 61 balmy degrees.We visited three locations starting with Compo Beach, then Sherwood Mill Pond Preserve, and finally, Sherwood Island State Park. We had 47 species including seven duck species.The 2 Lesser Scaup,9 Greater Yellowlegs, and 5 Dunlin continue on the Mill Pond. A Peregrine Falcon put on a nice show out over Cockenoe Island,hitting the water hard while trying for some ducks causing a huge splash.
Sparrows were almost non-existent and most of the juncos and yellowrumps that were everywhere a few days ago were absent. The best bird of the day was the beautiful splash of orange,spotted by one of the participants, high atop a White Spruce  tree, the Baltimore Oriole. So glad everyone got to see this bird. And thanks to all who helped in finding our birds today.Good birding!

Tina Green
Sent from my iPhone