[CT Birds] 11/7 Stratford bits & pieces

Frank Mantlik mantlik at sbcglobal.net
Thu Nov 7 15:53:35 EST 2013

>From Frank Mantlik

11/7  Stratford, Stratford Point - 2 Black Scoters (females), 1 Surf Scoter, 2 Long-tailed Ducks, 1 Greater Scaup, 1 Great Egret,  Northern Harrier.
- Long Beach (Oak Bluff Ave.) - 1 Black Scoter, 1 Great Egret, 680 Sanderlings, 1 Dunlin, kite-boarders.
- Access Rd. Pool (almost dried up) - 5 Pectoral Sandpipers, 9 Dunlin.
- McKinney NWR "Warehouse" Pond (Long Beach Blvd) - 2 Northern Pintail, 3 Green-winged Teal.
- Motil Pond (Motil Place) - 6 Northern Pintail, 28 Gadwall.
- Stratford Marina (Broad St.) - 2 YELLOW-CROWNED NIGHT-HERONS, 2 Black-crowned Night-Herons.

Note: I could not relocate the Eurasian Wigeon nor the two Red-necked Grebes reported yesterday.

Also, given the surprising number of late Pectoral Sandpipers being widely reported around the state recently, I urge all to be on the lookout for the rare Sharp-tailed Sandpiper, which has appeared only twice in CT.

With the forecast for Friday and Saturday of NW winds and colder temperatures, birds to be on the lookout for include Snow Goose, White Pelican (rare), Golden Eagle, Northern Goshawk, Short-eared Owl, Saw-whet Owl, Northern Shrike, Cave Swallow, late warblers, late sparrows, Pine Siskin, and Evening Grosbeak.