[CT Birds] Lighthouse Park Today (and Yesterday)

Steve Mayo and Rebecca Horowitz rsdmayo at sbcglobal.net
Sun Nov 10 15:30:31 EST 2013

A whopping 4 raptors and a few Cedar Waxwings before the SW winds shifted W and a few sprinkles drove us off "the hill".

We were so bored we took a couple minutes to walk the dike trail around the eastern border of the Park.  Thanks to the New Haven Parks Department who cleared the entire route as part of the shoreline trail initiative.  It was the first time I was able to "circumnavigate" that trail in a quarter century.  It's not terribly birdy, but there are beautiful  panoramic views of Morris Creek, the spartina marsh, and Lighthouse Park.   What's next?  Perhaps monies will pour into New Haven coffers from somewhere, and we'll get invasive plant control, a shorebird pond amidst the phragmites, a cedar grove for migrating Saw-whets.  One can dream!

Yesterday (11/9) totals were only 42 hawks but what a record morning flight!  Tony Hager and Bobbie Fisher estimated the following:

Com Grackle 551,000; RW Blackbird 60,000; BH Cowbird 60,000; Am Robin 190,000.  Amazing numbers, even for a good November morning at Lighthouse.

Steve Mayo