[CT Birds] Westport Golden Eagle

Steve Mayo and Rebecca Horowitz rsdmayo at sbcglobal.net
Thu Nov 14 19:56:16 EST 2013

That is amazing.  I wish I had seen this today.  I have never, ever seen a bird of prey, eat a goose:

Combine 1/2 cup of the onions, celery, bell peppers, 1 teaspoon of
the salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of the cayenne in a mixing bowl. Remove any
excess fat around the opening of the cavity of the goose. Prick other
fatty areas with a fork at intervals. Do not prick the breast. Stuff
cavity of goose with vegetable mixture. Season the outside of the goose
with the remaining 1 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon cayenne, and the black
pepper. Place the goose in a large roasting pan and roast for about 1
hour and 45 minutes, or until the drumsticks and thighs are easy to
remove.

Combine the remaining 1/2 cup onion, carrots, bay leaves, and port
wine in a medium-sized sauce pan over medium heat and bring to a boil.
Cook over medium heat until the mixture thickens and reduces to about
1/2 cup, about 30 minutes. Strain through a fine mesh strainer and let
cool.

Using a pastry brush, glaze the goose with the port wine reduction,
and return to the oven for 5 minutes to allow the glaze to caramelize
and set. Remove from the oven and let rest for 20 minutes before
carving. Serve with the Port Gravy, and Goose Fat-Roasted Potatoes.

Steve Mayo
Bethany