[CT Birds] Chaplin, Ashford-Union 11-16-13

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Sat Nov 16 18:59:43 EST 2013

Boston Hollow, Yale Forest; Ashford and  Union:

4 Common Ravens ( three near the south end of Boston Hollow  Road and 1
near the north end of Barlow Mill Rd in Union). I haven't seen Ravens  there at
all this late before. It is also the first time I have seen any  evidence
of a population of more than the single family that has nested there  for
many years. The single bird was several miles from where I saw the first  three.
3 White-breasted Nuthatches
1 Brown Creeper
3 Downy Woodpeckers
1 Pileated Woodpecker
4 Eastern Bluebirds
c 50 black-capped Chickadees
   All birds listed below seen in Union on the road  that goes back up
towards I-84, in a dense brushy area next to a mowed field  across the street
from the 2nd house up the hill.
1 Ruby-crowned Kinglet
4 Golden-crowned Kinglets
1 Song Sparrow
3 American Tree Sparrows  (FOS)
2 White-throated Sparrows
1 Swamp Sparrow
6 Dark-eyed Juncos

Beaver Dam Marsh, Natchaug SF, Chaplin:
1 Belted Kingfisher, male
5 Drake Mallards
  Reason I bothered with this is to mention that the water  in the marsh is
VERY low. Of course it has been very dry this fall, but even  last spring
it was lower than usual and the spring was very wet. The problem  seems to be
that there is a 3 foot diameter corrugated steel overflow pipe about  8
feet behind the dam and I think it has rotted through. You can hear water
rushing through the pipe and see where  it comes out at the base of the  dam,
but the water is no where near the height of the dam or the pipe. I also
think the spillway is undermined. Beavers tried to stem the flow but it looks
like they gave up. Unfortunately this does not bode well for finding birds in
 the marsh, including the Tundra Swans that have been there at least 3
times in  the last 5 or 6 years in the spring.
Given the current problems with the State's finances  (think busway) I can
only assume the DEEP is seriously underfunded, so I  doubt the problem will
be fixed any time soon.

Don  Morgan
Coventry