[CT Birds] Broad Brook

Jamie Meyers ctredbird2 at comcast.net
Tue Nov 12 09:49:17 EST 2013

I'm not 100% certain I would make the assumption that it's totally natural. Last year at this time I recall there was a female Black Scoter present there for about a week until she turned up dead and I think there was also a Common Merganser hen that met the same fate. About a week ago when I was there the place smelled awful, though that could have just been from all the exposed mud. The point is, it seems to me that this place may be playing host to some unhealthy conditions for the birds. That wouldn't be surprising in some ways, given the numbers of geese that spend a lot of time there during the colder months doing what geese are famous for doing.