[CT Birds] Shrew; not Mole or vole

jaybrd49 at aol.com jaybrd49 at aol.com
Thu Nov 21 16:26:24 EST 2013

We should also mention that this is our only venomous mammal.  Their saliva is quite toxic, one way they are able to subdue some of their larger prey items like songbirds and mice.  The short-tailed shrew must eat three times its body eight daily to stay alive.  They do not hibernate and remain active throughout the year.
Over the years, I have accumulated numerous shrew stories such as the time I found a short-tailed shrew working on the underside of a ring-necked pheasant in a coop.  When I walked in, I noted body feathers strewn near the resting bird. The pheasant got up and ran to the other side of the coop, exposing the shrew who then ran out through a small hole in the floor..  I wonder had I not intervened if the shrew might have killed the much larger pheasant while it slept.  Conversely, I once watched a common grackle chase a shrew across the road and continually pecking at it.  I do not know of the grackle was successful.....

Jay Kaplan
Canton