[CT Birds] Quebec Ross's gull

Jamie Meyers ctredbird2 at comcast.net
Thu Nov 21 16:36:50 EST 2013

>From the chatter I've seen on local listservs lately it appears that more than a few birders are considering making this trip. I would have gone today if not for a couple of logistical issues, but I have been following the sightings. The weather looks unfavorable for tomorrow but Saturday looks better, albeit chilly. It's a little tricky keeping up with the latest on this bird because the Quebec listserv is in French. There are translation services such as Bablefish available on the web for free that will at least get you to a reasonable facsimile of the original post in English. Updates are sometimes given on the VT and northern NY listservs as well. There is a hotspot for it in eBird which has a nice map of the area. None of these resources is definitive and up to date, however. A note on the VT site says that the bird was seen today, while another one on the northern NY site gives a detailed account of its whereabouts yesterday. When last I looked, nobody had tagged it in eBird since Tuesday. It is NOT being seen just in one location at this time. The sewage ponds were the primary spot from which it was being seen but in the past two days it has been more reliable at a nearby marina. This is a good opportunity for this very rarely seen species, as Sara notes.

Jamie Meyers
Canton, CT

----- Original Message -----

From: "Sara Zagorski" <penguinsz at sbcglobal.net>
To: "Janis LaPointe" <sunbirdjan at cox.net>
Cc: "CT Birds" <ctbirds at lists.ctbirding.org>
Sent: Thursday, November 21, 2013 10:08:48 AM
Subject: Re: [CT Birds] Quebec Ross's gull

Denise Jernigan and I went up to see it this past weekend. The site is a little under an hour away from the VT border, very easy to get to, and the bird is consistently going to a known location. It is about 5 hours away from Hartford. This is a bird I have been wanting to see for a long time, and it was thrilling to get such wonderful looks at it. If you have never seen one, this is a great opportunity to do so. Reminder: you will need a passport to get back into the U.S.

Sara Zagorski
Wethersfield