[CT Birds] Ross's Gull

Jamie Meyers ctredbird2 at comcast.net
Fri Nov 22 10:22:52 EST 2013

The website Jan posted is excellent, in English and looks to be updated frequently. eBird reports will likely not be up to date as they must be approved before posted there, from what I gather.

I should note that the VT list serv has an extremely good post on it from Jim Mead with directions to the various locations where the gull's been and his experience from yesterday. Certainly a useful reference. Also, the site Jan linked to shows that there was a Ross's Goose seen in the town of Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, which is one town south of Chambly, on November 16. Obviously not as high a priority bird but flocks of Snow Geese in that area should be checked.

There are multiple reports of Ross's Goose from that area right now. Perhaps one of those birds will head south and wind up around here at some point. The forecast is for very cold weather up north starting Sunday in particular. Thinking that the gull might also head south in due time might be wishful thinking, but what the heck, it would be welcome.

Jamie Meyers
Canton, CT