[CT Birds] COA Sea Duck Workshop

Christopher Loscalzo closcalz at optonline.net
Sat Nov 23 13:02:01 EST 2013

11/23/13:  in Stratford: the workshop was a success with ~ 25 attendees
participating in an indoor educational session followed by a sea watch at
the point.  Species seen included: Common and Red-throated Loon,
White-winged Scoter, Long-tailed Duck, Greater Scaup, and Red-breasted
Merganser.  There were many Northern Gannets that flew by the point.  Other
species seen were Northern Harrier, Brant, Gadwall, and Snow Bunting. Some
of us stopped by Frash Pond after the workshop where we saw two female
Canvasback, Bufflehead, Hooded Merganser, Pied-billed Grebe and
Double-crested Cormorant. A few of us then went to Beaver Brook Pond in
Milford where we saw the FOUR (!) drake Eurasian Wigeon with American
Wigeon, found earlier today by Frank Gallo and company. Thanks to the staff
at Connecticut Audubon Society for making the facility and point available
to us and to Frank Mantlik for co-leading the event.

Chris Loscalzo,