[CT Birds] Warning to members of this list

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Sun Nov 24 20:08:04 EST 2013

This maybe off topic but is about a danger to anyone who has a  Facebook
account, and I know that applies to many members of this list. Today I
received an email with the subject:
"Mntncougar, 3 messages marked as unread"
I'm used to emails like that from Facebook, although they normally  say 2
messages, not 3.  Most all the people I know on Facebook are  birders. I
generally ignore these emails but decided to open this one.  When I did it
looked like a regular Facebook email, although it did contain the  line:
"3 private messages that must be read"
Curious, I clicked on "View Messages" and a page started to open  but
immediately a window from my anti-virus (AVG) popped up saying a virus had  been
detected and deleted. After I recovered from the shock I took a closer look
at the email.  The sender was;
<zmsja at fingercompanies.com>
Which is not remotely like the sender on a Facebook email (they  begin with
"notifications ...").
I strongly suggest that you all check any mail you get from  Facebook
before you open it. "Friends" don't send friends viruses.

Don  Morgan