[CT Birds] Snowy Owl irruption

Christopher Loscalzo closcalz at optonline.net
Wed Nov 27 22:04:48 EST 2013

A few comments about the Snowy Owl irruption: this does appear to be a major
event, as Snowy Owls are being seen in a number of locations all along the
east coast.  A quick check of ebird reveals that they have been seen as far
south as Cape Hatteras, North Carolina (!) in the past few days. Delaware
had its first record since 2008.  As exciting as this is for birders, we'd
be wise to remember that the birds are far from their customary wintering
grounds and are likely to be stressed.  We should observe them from a
respectable distance and make an effort not to disturb them.  Let's hope
they find adequate food to sustain themselves and avoid excessive
disturbance and injury.  Let's set a good example for others who may be
interested in looking at these birds.

Thanks for listening.

Good birding,

Chris Loscalzo,