[CT Birds] Very late Broad-Winged Hawk at Audubon Greenwich

Ryan MacLean ryanmac335 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 29 16:10:26 EST 2013

Decided to spend a couple hours sitting at the hawk watch today just incase some stragglers were taking advantage of the ideal conditions. Sure enough I ended up having the most unexpected straggler of the season in the form of an unmistakable adult BROAD-WINGED HAWK that zipped right past me low over the field left of the hawk watch lawn and seemed to land in a tree on the edge of Riversville Road. Considering that all 16,000 of his friends in the area left for S America two months ago he might just try to hang in around here for the winter. I have to go back and look at past years' data but I'd imagine that this is one of Quaker Ridge's latest records of a Broad Wing ever.

Besides the BW, I did happen to catch a few more late migrants including 3 Red-Shouldered Hawks, 1 Red-Tail and 4 Turkey Vultures. A Hermit Thrush, Fox Sparrow and several Purple Finches were also nearby.

-Ryan MacLean

Sent from my iPhone