[CT Birds] Possible Nelson's Gull

John Oshlick john.oshlic at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 2 16:30:09 EST 2013

I went to see the possible Nelson’s Gull. It was not hard to locate. It actually would come in and eat bread that several visitors were using to feed the gulls. It looks a lot like a Glaucous Gull. It has the bicolored bill of a first cycle Glaucous. It also has the flat-headed look of a Glaucous Gull. It seemed small for a Glaucous as it did not seem much larger than the other Ring-billed Gulls in the area. The primaries seemed to be on the dark side for a Glaucous but some pictures of Glaucous Gulls seem to show rather dark primaries. The spread tail (when seen in flight) seemed to show fairly dark tail feathers which seemed too dark for a first cycle Glaucous Gull.
I am no expert on Gull ID but I would say that the bird looks like a Nelson’s Gull, but I would like to see what the gull experts say.

Great Find!

John Oshlick
Bethany